The 75th Session of American Legion Auxiliary Volunteer Girls State will take place virtually from Tuesday, June 1 to Friday, June 4, 2021, on various online platforms. If you are selected as a delegate or alternate to represent your school at ALA VGS, here are some answers to frequently asked questions:
Who do I contact for tech support?
For help on any of the platforms or tech tools we’re using for ALA VGS 2021, email our help desk here.
When does the program end?
Our virtual program will conclude on the evening of Friday, June 5, 2021.
I am not able to attend all of the virtual session. Is this okay?
If, for any reason, you cannot participate in our virtual session from Tuesday, June 1 through Friday, June 4, you must inform your school guidance counselor, chair of your school’s ALA VGS committee, and Kathy Isaacson, Co-Director of ALA VGS.
What should I do to prepare for the virtual session?
Though much of the ALA VGS experience will become clearer to you once the program begins, there are a few steps you can take to be more prepared for the week:
- Get plenty of rest before coming to ALA VGS. Every day is full and requires 100% of you.
- Realize that you need not be an expert in government to excel at Girls State. Consider ALA VGS a learning experience and remember that you have been chosen by your high school based on your abilities and leadership skills.
- Current issues play an important role at ALA VGS, from determining party platforms and writing bills to debating issues. Read your local paper and stay abreast of current state issues and you will be ahead of the game, particularly when campaigning for office. Issues of particular interest at Girls State are education, health care and budget concerns on city, county and state levels.
- Know your particular sponsor before arrival. Citizens are encouraged to write a thank-you note to the persons responsible for providing this wonderful experience to them.
What’s in it for me?
As staff and counselors, we firmly believe that this program is life-changing. Not only will you experience cooperation among hundreds of your peers to build a working government and make new friends from across Tennessee, but ALA VGS also provides the following tangible benefits:
- Samsung Scholarship. This scholarship is one of a series of scholarships derived from an endowment from the Samsung Corporation, a worldwide leader in electronics. The endowment was created to express appreciation to U.S. veterans who came to the aid of Korea during its struggle against communist forces during the Korean War. The American Legion administers this scholarship program from a Samsung scholarship fund. Please visit our Samsung information page for complete details, as well as a link to the application.
- Girls Nation. ALA Volunteer Girls State selects two citizens to travel to Washington, D.C., in mid-July to serve as senators from Tennessee in the Girls Nation program. Girls Nation citizens participate in a mock federal government, electing and appointing federal officials. Over the years, ALA VGS has sent several citizens who have been elected Girls Nation president. Highlights of that week include: meeting senators, representatives, and other high-ranking federal officials; touring the Washington, D.C., monuments and the Smithsonian; and touring the White House and possibly meeting with the president of the United States.
- The ALA VGS Network. The people you meet at ALA VGS and the friends you make are all young women with tremendous potential and successful futures ahead. Citizen selection is based on academic achievement, strength of character, and school and community contributions. The counselors and staff who lead you during the week, all former ALA VGS citizens, will share their many talents and successes with you as well. After the week of ALA VGS, graduates of the program join a community of thousands across the country. This network of women in countless roles and professions serve as friends, mentors, and contacts for years to come.
What devices and technology do I need?
The 75th session of ALA VGS will be held on various online platforms. Access to a computer and Wifi are necessary to fully engage in this year’s program.
What if I haven’t yet received my registration materials, or what if I have additional questions?
Use our contact page to send us a message, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.