If you’ve been selected to attend this year’s session of ALA Volunteer Girls State, congratulations! You’ll soon be a citizen of Volunteer Girls State. We’ve put together some information below to help you prepare for the week. You can also check out our Frequently Asked Questions here.
The 75th Session of American Legion Auxiliary Volunteer Girls State will take place virtually from Tuesday, June 1 to Friday, June 4, 2021, on various online platforms. The 2021 session will kick off on Tuesday, June 1 at 9:00 a.m. Central and conclude on the evening of Friday, June 4.
ALA VGS Rules
The safety of our citizens and staff is of the utmost importance to the ALA VGS organization. To ensure a safe and effective learning environment, staff and counselors utilize and enforce these guidelines:
- Citizens will show respect to and pledge the American flag and will show reverence to God and country.
- Citizens and staff members will be treated courteously, with respect and cooperation.
- Citizens must attend and must be prompt at all assemblies and meetings.
- Materials used to campaign for office at ALA VGS must be prepared while at ALA VGS. Use of any materials prepared prior to the beginning of ALA VGS will not be allowed.
- Failure to follow these rules may result in dismissal from the program and require the citizen and/or her parent or guardian to refund the registration fee to the sponsor. I have read the rules, and I agree that I will abide by them at all times while at ALA VGS.
Staff and Counselors
Alongside an executive staff that manages the program and is onsite during the week, ALA Volunteer Girls State manages each city with four to six counselors (all previous citizens of varying ages) who serve as mentors, facilitators, and chaperones for the week. Staff and counselors, who are all volunteers, also facilitate every event and assembly. Aside from being good sources of information because they all have experienced ALA VGS as citizens, counselors are uniquely qualified to lend a hand when you need it.
We’re hosting our virtual program using several platforms and tech tools so we can deliver the best and most interactive experience possible to you. First, a brief intro:
- Canvas is where everything related to your assigned VGS city is hosted, and where you can find your daily schedule and information from your city counselors. VGS participants are organized into 20 cities, so think of this as your home base.
- Within Canvas, you will also find links to:
- Hive, where we’ll host assemblies and information pertaining to all of ALA VGS
- Flipgrid, which you’ll use to record videos as a way to interact with other citizens
- Zoom, which is how you’ll meet with the rest of your city
Here are three action items to complete by Thursday, May 27 – before the Memorial Day weekend – so you can be sure you can easily log into the ALA VGS session on Tuesday, June 1.
- The first step is to log into Canvas. Check your inbox for an email invitation from Canvas to log in and create your profile. This is also when you’ll find out which VGS city you’re in! The email also contains a step-by-step document to walk you through the process.
- Once you’ve logged into Canvas, you’ll create your Hive account.
- Then, create a Flipgrid to introduce yourself to the rest of your city.
If you’re still having issues with Canvas, Hive, or Flipgrid and need tech support, reach out to us with questions.
After you’ve completed these items, you’re ready for ALA VGS 2021! Looking for more? You can take this week to read through the handbook, citizenship, and party politics information in Canvas – all information that will be referenced during ALA VGS.
Find out more about the Samsung Scholarship opportunity and application process here.
During the week, we post photos and updates online so that your parents and friends will be able to follow along with the activities taking place at ALA VGS. Besides our website, you can find us on Instagram, Facebook, and on Twitter.
Contacting ALA VGS
Prior to the week of Girls State, the best way to contact the organization is to submit any questions you have to us via our contact page. We will respond as soon as possible.