If you’ve been selected to attend this year’s session of ALA Volunteer Girls State, congratulations! You’ll soon be a citizen of Volunteer Girls State. We’ve put together some information below to help you prepare for the week. You can also check out our Frequently Asked Questions here.
This year’s session is Sunday, May 27, 2018 through Saturday, June 2, 2018 at Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tenn.
Registration is at the Bennett Campus Center between 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m., Central Time, on Sunday, May 27. Please complete registration before unloading your luggage, which should be labeled with your name and address. Upon arrival, ALA VGS staff will guide you through the registration process.
Parents and friends will be invited to a final closing assembly that will begin at 2:00 p.m. Central Time on Saturday, June 2. This assembly will be held at Allen Arena on the Lipscomb Campus. More information about this event will be e-mailed to parents or guardians directly. Parents can pick up citizens on Saturday, June 2, at 4:30 p.m. CT, in the lobby of your dorm. There will be no counselor supervision after 5:00 p.m. CT.
What to Bring
We have put together a suggested packing list that covers clothing, toiletries, and other items you’ll want to bring with you, which is available to view, download and print here.
In addition, the items you’ll need for registration are here:
- Medical form, completed and signed by parent or guardian (no doctor’s signature is necessary), with copy of insurance card attached
- ALA VGS rules and release, signed by citizen and parent or guardian
- Lipscomb release form, signed by parent or guardian
- A copy of your Samsung application that must be submitted online
(If you are eligible – please visit our Samsung info page for details and eligibility requirements.)
Finally, the 1998 ALA VGS Legislature passed a resolution that requires ALA VGS to provide community service donations each year. We provide these items to a local VA hospital. The veterans are in constant need of these items. Please spend no more than $10 in total for a sampling of these items:
- Ground coffee for use in traditional coffee machines (not instant)
- Sugar and sweetener in canisters or packets
- Powdered creamer
- Laundry detergent for high-efficiency (HE) washing machines
If you choose to bring these items, pack them in a separate bag. They will be collected at registration.
Your Health and Safety
ALA VGS has a registered nurse on staff to address minor medical issues. However, because it is a strenuous program, we aren’t prepared to manage health concerns that will limit your full participation. If you have specific questions or concerns, please contact us here.
While at ALA VGS, the security and safety of our citizens is the top priority. Each citizen will be part of a group receiving continual supervision from a team of counselors and staff. No citizens are ever allowed to walk alone on campus to any activities, day or night. Lipscomb provides front desk security in each dorm and monitors dorm access with security cameras. In addition, campus police are present as we walk to and from group events, and our organization is included on the Lipscomb emergency alert system.
ALA VGS Rules
The safety of our citizens and staff is of the utmost importance to the ALA VGS organization. To ensure a safe and effective learning environment, staff and counselors utilize and enforce these guidelines:
- No citizen of Volunteer Girls State shall be permitted to leave the campus after registration, except in the case of emergency. Permission must be granted by the Director or Chairwoman of ALA VGS.
- No one is allowed to be on campus alone, and name badges must be worn for identification at all times.
- Citizens will show respect to and pledge the American flag and will show reverence to God and country.
- All citizens and staff members will be treated courteously, with respect and cooperation.
- All university campus rules must be observed, and all University property must be protected and respected. Each citizen is responsible for the contents, neatness, and condition of her room and is accountable for the University property contained therein.
- Citizens must attend and must be prompt at all meals, assemblies, and meetings.
- Citizens may not have any visitors while at Girls State.
- Smoking and consuming alcoholic beverages is prohibited while at Girls State.
- Any citizen who is ill or injured must report her condition to her counselor and then be accompanied to the ALA VGS nurse.
- Any materials used to campaign for office at VGS must be prepared on‐site while at VGS. Use of any materials prepared prior to the beginning of VGS will not be allowed.
- Failure to follow these rules may result in dismissal from the program and require the citizen and/or her parent or guardian to refund the registration fee to the sponsor.
Staff and Counselors
Alongside an executive staff that manages the program and is onsite during the week, ALA Volunteer Girls State manages each city with four to six counselors (all previous citizens of varying ages) who serve as mentors, facilitators, and chaperones for the week. Staff and counselors, who are all volunteers, also facilitate every event and assembly. Aside from being good sources of information because they all have experienced ALA VGS as citizens, counselors are uniquely qualified to lend a hand when you need it.
Cell Phone and Electronic Communication Policy
To take full advantage of all Girls State has to offer, active participation is important. Cell phones will be utilized in an educational way to provide an engaging learning environment. Inappropriate cell phone use during VGS activities and events will limit your experience. In respect of fellow delegates and VGS counselors/staff, we ask you to unplug.
During the week, we post photos and updates online so that your parents and friends will be able to follow along with the activities taking place at ALA VGS. Besides our website, you can find us on Facebook, on Twitter, and on Instagram.
Contacting ALA VGS
Prior to the week of Girls State, the best way to contact the organization is to submit any questions you have to us via our contact page. We will respond as soon as possible.